10 years ago
Sunday, March 22, 2009
March Madness
This is one of my favorite times of year in sports. There's nothing like watching basketball every day all day. Rooting for the underdogs, the excitement of the buzzer beaters, lamenting my broken bracket. It's all so much fun. March is special for Jeff and I for another reason too, and that is our marriage on March 9, 2001. This morning as I watch the games I laughed to myself realizing how intertwined this sport and our marriage is. First of all, basketball was one of the first things that we found we had in common when we met on that summer day at Lagoon at the tender age of 16. We both played on our high school teams and were nuts about the sport. As we dated, we spent a lot of time going to each others games. Then after we got married, we went on our honeymoon to Grand Cayman, leaving behind a chilly Utah and getting a much needed break from school. So here we are in paradise, taking in the sun and the beach, but then March Madness started, and we subsequently spent a lot of time in our little room on the beach watching basketball. Now this year, as we celebrated 8 years together, we decided to go to Las Vegas to not only get away, but also to go the Mountain West tournament. Romantic right? But we both love it. A few years ago, Jeff got us some great seats right behind the bench for a Jazz game, and the guy he talked to on the phone thought Jeff was going to be dead meat for doing this for his wife for Valentines Day. Jeff explained that no, it would be awesome and I think the guy expressed a little jealousy. Yeah, I'm a cool wife. But honestly, I just love that Jeff and I have this love, among many others, in common. I love how there are so many things we can do together that we both love, whether it be basketball, traveling, shopping at Nordstrom, or whatever. This is just one piece of what makes him my best friend in the world. I know I could go on and on about why I love this man, but I'll spare you all a sappy diatribe and just sum it up by saying I am so grateful and so lucky to be with someone so wonderful and so perfect for me. After 8 years, I feel as happy and in love as ever, and now that we are finally going to have a family (well, an official human family....sorry Belle), I can't wait to experience the new level our relationship is going to take. I can't wait to see Jeff be the incredible father I know he is going to be. So let the March Madness continue forever and ever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I loved this. It's awesome that you two share so much in common - that you love so many of the same things. Bring on the sappy stuff!
Jen that was great! Nothing wrong with getting sappy over the man. I think we sports nut girls are SO lucky, it makes it so easy to have so much in common with the hubby! I know that is how it is for us, we'd rather watch a game than almost all other things!
Congrats on 8 years and I hope the next few weeks fly by for you...its almost here!
Oh Jen. I'm so glad he has you, this one made me cry. I am grateful that you both are SO perfect for each other and that you are going to be one of the marriages that I know is going to "make it". If only so many more could be so lucky as you two and as Todd and I are. Next post is, dare I say, the "baby" post? Maybe you could get one more in before she comes? I love you guys (Belle too).
Post a Comment